Skip to content

5 January 2015 – minutes

5 January 2015 – Facilitating Group call

Actions

Sami to find links for glossary / resources for values statement (should we think about how this ties to Ian & Isis’s bit?)

Elena to tidy-up values document & incorporate suggestions

– ? to cost up staffing proposal?

Cilla to tidy-up staffing proposal

Ian & Isis to send proposal on tightening up category 2/ systemic change criteria around FG

Sami to propose some different scoring systems using maths-y brain

– Yula to send rough proposal to FG on longer-term funding

Sami to send something round on discriminatory comments

Sophie to discuss membership application process with Welcome Group

Sophie to send out a Doodle for Manchester meet – 28th / 21st Feb – when sending out information to members

Sophie to ask for volunteers to organise meetings & maybe arrange an organisers’ call

Meeting notes

  1. Simplify/ shorten document on Edge processes/ values – Elena
  • Document here. Is the wording accessible enough in the opening statement? – We could make it more accessible, or we could say ‘ask us what this means’ – have a contact name or some videos & resources (make a glossary? Can be patronising to change language – thinking people won’t get it, when they probably will.
  • How can we make ‘systemic change’ clear? Different for different groups, but can we say more clearly what our alternative vision would look like? E.g. something anti-capitalist; a post-capitalist world? We’ve never explicitly said, as Edge, that we are anti-capitalist – but is an implicit assumption? (A couple of members who aren’t sure about being anti-capitalist, not sure what the alternative is)
  • Do we need the statement to be so strong? Does it help to make clear to potential applicants what to expect from us / whether or not they should apply? Will such strong statements put off potential funders / donors? Need to be true to ourselves – be clear about who we are.
  • Lots of conversation to be had about oppression & systemic change – at the members’ meet?
  • Generally happy with the principles / values in practice bit.

Action: Sami to find links for glossary / resources (should we think about how this ties to Ian & Isis’s bit?)

Action: Elena to tidy-up ready to send round to members.

  1. Proposal on staffing – Cilla and Rose
  • Staffing proposal (here) based on 2 funding rounds per year
  • Not enough capacity to do it 3 times a year – takes 3 months to do it, and there’s more time to do other things if we have two instead of one.
  • Proposal is for for 5.5 days paid work over 4 roles
  • Cilla included holidays etc. in staffing proposal
  • Wage stands at £25k a year – average for UK?
  • Staff to be ‘on the system’ – PAYE – though it should be flexible – people can be self-employed if they want.
  • Freelancers to get same, but as an hourly rate (for one-off work)
  • Do we need for more floating days than proposed (10)? Perhaps not with new members of staff? Either way, there should be money earmarked for this purpose. At the moment, we have about £2.5k earmarked for this ‘floating’ – about 4 or 5 weeks work. How much do we need?

Action: cost up this proposal?

Action: Cilla to tidy-up & send out.

  1. Put together links/ articles etc on revolution vs reform (re tightening up category 2/ systemic change criteria) – Ian and Isis
  • Ian & Isis had a call before Christmas break.
  • How could we define ‘systemic change’ – different for different groups? More privileged groups may not see actions of others as ‘radical’, for example.
  • How to define equality? (Equitability)
  • Could we combine the two categories? Or is it important to distinguish between those at front-line and those not, but still working on systemic change?
  • Oppressions not set in stone – people have different experiences at different times.

Action: Ian & Isis to send proposal around FG

  1. Proposal for scoring system that is more responsive to different needs/ preferences – Sophie
  • The need: A third of scores are wrong in some way. Lots of people don’t like it, even if they get it. And lots of people don’t score – is the system part of it?
  • Marking out of ten is easy – the additional bits are the confusing bits. This is the root of the problem. Get rid of them!
  • Also – scoring groups – get people together to help each other out? Risk of people being influenced by others, but nice to at least be in a room together. MFJ issue might have been caught much earlier if this system had been in place.
  • Regional co-ordinators could also help out.
  • Alternatively, we could have a series of criteria that people have to score each application on. This may get complicated,  and may disadvantage some groups.

Action: Sami to propose some different systems using maths-y brain

  1. Proposal on new funding model (funding 1 group from each AG over 3 years) – Yula
  • Lots of questions to consider when putting together such a proposal –
  • Really important to think about what a healthy, democratic, equal etc campaigning group looks like.
  • Reporting – really important, to be able to learn, understand what good practice looks like
  • Not about ‘prescribing’ what good practice is, but learning? But could talk about it at a members’ meeting.
  • Should we just take this to a members’ meeting, rather than writing up a fuller proposal?
  • Members may find it easier to have a suggested process and some information on implications.

Action: Yula to think a bit more about and write up rough proposal to send to FG before going to members.

  1. Safe space/ taking action re discriminatory comments etc at meetings – Sami

Action: Sami to send something round

  1. Putting agenda together – all (during Monday 5 January call)

Lots of little / specific issues:

  • Clarity on whether £3/5k is given out. Be clear that it is 3! Might put off some of the bigger groups, too.
  • Slight change in app questions.
  • Membership options: should we have different types of membership? Sense of urgency because of possibility of not having more AG members for next funding round.
  • (Little pat on the back – we’re doing good work!)

Action: Sophie to discuss membership application process with Welcome Group

Action: Stuff to be sent out to members by 16th January! (Two weeks before meeting)

Action: Sophie to send out a Doodle for Manchester meet – 28th / 21st Feb when sending out information to members

Action: Sophie to ask for volunteers to organise meetings & maybe arrange an organisers’ call

No comments yet

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: