20 December 2013 Facilitating Group minutes
Present (via Skype): Elena, Rose, Chris, Sophie, Cilla
Final meeting of round 3
Need to sort: venue, food, facilitation, agenda.
- Sophie will check if available on 11 January
Some people seem keen to carry on conversations at the end of the day.
- Book venue from 10 until 6pm (extra hour for people who want to chat at the end)
- Sophie will see if there is pub/ cafe nearby if people want to go on together afterwards
We should send a message to members to see if they are coming and what their requirements are, and also ask for help re food – can anyone cater if costs covered, or does anyone have recommendations for local caterers? Also ask about facilitation, although Isis may be able to do this.
In the past people have complained that there isn’t enough time to talk to all the applicants at the meeting. With 15 groups making it through to this stage, it’s always going to be difficult. 2-minute presentations will help, also need to urge people to read applications ahead of time, make printed copies available on the day and encourage people to use breaks and lunch time to chat to groups.
Things we need for meeting:
- Flipchart and pens
- Printed applications x 20
- Cups for chickpeas
- Tea, coffee, milk, sugar, biscuits, squash, chocolate
Agenda for 11 January
Starting promptly at 11.00!
- 10.30 – tea, coffee, welcome
- 11.00 – 12.00 Background, introductions (go round the room – but not to talk about group, this come next), run through agenda, groundrules, ice-breaker
- 12.00 – 13.00 2-minute presentations from the 15 groups, with support from members (those not able to make it can prepare a 2-minute video or audio presentation or ask a member to present for them). We’ll need a timer for this so it doesn’t over-run.
Put up a list of Group A and B – each consisting of half the applicants, explain the stalls (taking place after lunch) and encourage people to use lunch and break to talk to applicants in the same group as them. Make clear that it is very unlikely you’ll get to talk to all applicants (maybe in future fewer groups make it to this stage, or we split between London and Manchester).
- 13.00 – 13.45 LUNCH
- 13.45 – 14.30 Stalls 1 (applicants in Group A set up tables, Group B and members have opportunity to wander around and ask questions)
- 14.30 – 15.15 Stalls 2 (swap around)
- 15.15 – 15.30 BREAK
- 15.30 – 16.30 Scoring (with chickpeas), adding up and combining with scores given before meeting (only those who cannot make the meeting score beforehand).
We will do the same as last time, each person will get 30 chickpeas to give out to the 15 applicants. You can’t give more than 5 chickpeas to an applicant and can’t vote for your own application. If two people have come from one applicant group they vote together as an organisation, unless one of them is a member in which case they get their own chickpeas. Have extra pot for people to put chickpeas if they don’t feel they can give them out.
- 16.30 – 17.00 Review of the day
- 17.00 – 18.00 Tea etc, chance to chat after meeting
We’ll send out a Doodle to find out availability on Saturday 15 & 22 February
Ask people if they would be prepared to travel to Manchester for meeting (perhaps we could put a coach on?) If the meeting is in London we need to commit to addressing the regional issue. We need to find a way for decision-making to happen outside of London.
Also ask how people would like to feed into the review, particularly if not easy to commit to coming to a day meeting?